Monday, October 29, 2012

Book Find

I found this cool mid-century book on a Czech antiquarian book website (with the unlikely name of antikbuddha) Anyway, the book is in Czech and I have no idea what it's about but I really liked the illustrations. The book wasn't expensive but shipping to the US was a bear! The website can be viewed in English to make it ordering little easier and they will email you the shipping total and send an invoice. But back to the book. The name in Czech is "Cesty K Princeznam" which according to google translate means "Ways to Princesses" whatever that means. The author is Josef Jicha and the only thing I can find online is that he was born in Austria-Hungary in 1901 and moved to Cleveland, Ohio as a baby. His work appeared in the Saturday Evening Post and Life magazines, he taught at the Cleveland Institute of Art, and his art is in museums worldwide. (for more info, see http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=JJW) I would call the style of the book "Czech Avant_Garde". Check it out-these are some of my favorites from the book.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...